Great Malvern | Lea, Perrins and Worcestershire Sauce Legacy

In the 1800s, a physicist shop on Belle Vue Terrace in Great Malvern (now a shop called Kalliste) was controlled by three men; John Lea, William Perrins and the chief Walter Burrow. The shop front still demonstrates the metal segments backpedalling to this time. Lea, Perrins and Burrow started offering spring water and pop water and, for quite a while, they guaranteed the sole rights to bundling and offering the water from Holywell and St Ann’s Well. In 1850, Walter and his kin John Burrows bought out Lea and Perrins and expanded the bundling business, over the long haul moving to the essential bundling plant which is by and by the Robson Ward Courtyard on Belle Vue Terrace.

Lea and Perrins thus moved to set up a logical master in Broad Street, Worcester. They were given a hot sauce, brought over from India by Lord Sandys, and asked for to duplicate it. This they did, however thought the result was horrifying. They put their sauce away and ignored it, yet when they endeavoured it again two years sometime later they were greatly awed with the taste imbued in the wake of maturing. This was the start of “The Original Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce”. For sure, even straight up ’til today, the sauce is allowed to stay for 18 months before being sold.

The tremendous grandson of William Perrins was Charles Dyson Perrins, the adjacent altruist, after whom the Dyson Perrins C of E Academy is named.

 

Original Re-write

Lea, Perrins and Worcestershire Sauce

In the 1800s, a chemist shop on Belle Vue Terrace in Great Malvern (now a shop called Kalliste) was owned by three men; John Lea, William Perrins and the manager Walter Burrow. The shop front still displays the brass pillars dating back to this time. Lea, Perrins and Burrow started selling spring water and soda water and, for a while, they owned the sole rights to bottling and selling the water from Holywell and St Ann’s Well. In 1850, Walter and his brother John Burrows bought out Lea and Perrins and expanded the bottling business, eventually moving to the first bottling plant which is now the Robson Ward Courtyard on Belle Vue Terrace.

Lea and Perrins subsequently moved to set up a chemist in Broad Street, Worcester. They were given a spicy sauce, brought back from India by Lord Sandys, and asked to recreate it. This they did but thought the result was disgusting. They put their sauce away and forgot about it, but when they tried it again two years later they were very impressed with the taste instilled after fermentation. This was the start of “The Original Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce”.  Even to this day, the sauce is allowed to stand for 18 months before being sold.

The great-grandson of William Perrins was Charles Dyson Perrins, the local philanthropist, after whom the Dyson Perrins C of E Academy is named.